W h i t e   M o u n t a i n   A p a c h e


5 East Sycamore Street         Whiteriver, Arizona  85941         Phone (928) 338-4942        FAX (928) 338-4565

Department Partnerships

WMAT Dept. of Corrections    928-338-1120

WMAT Prosecution Unit          928-338-2254  

WMA DPS Rangers                928-369-7067

WMAT Social Services            928-338-4164

WMAT Tribal Court                 928-338-4720

WMAT EMS                            928-338-3095

WMAT Fire & Rescue             928-338-4311

Cibecue Fire Station              928-332-2401

WMA Housing Security           928-338-1181

BIA Law Enforcement             928-338-5355 

DPS - Highway Patrol             928-537-5545      


San Carlos Police Department                 928-475-2311

San Carlos Dept of Corrections               928-475-4060

Show Low Police Department                   928-537-5091

Pinetop Police Department                       928-368-8800

Navajo County Sheriff's Office                  928-536-7460

BIA Forestry                                             928-338-5429

Pinetop Fire Department                          928-367-2199

Show Low Fire Department                      928-537-5100

Apache County Sheriffs Office                 928-337-4321

Native Air - Show Low                               909-915-2303


© 2016 White Mountain Apache Police Department  All Rights Reserved

Background photo by Elmer Lamson


September 11 1961- December 9, 1999

 Tenny Gatewood Jr., 38, of Hon Dah, was killed Thursday December 9, 1999 while patrolling in a remote, wooded area of the Fort Apache Indian Reservation.  Authorities charged a father and son in connection with the murder of Officer Gatewood.


Tenny Gatewood Jr. (P22) was the first White Mountain Apache Police Officer killed in the line of duty. He was married and had four children.

Officer Gatewood, a 9-year veteran of the department, stopped a
vehicle that matched the description of one used in an alleged beer burglary at the Hawley Lake convenience store.


Gatewood struggled with the two suspects and was shot in the head with his own duty handgun. The suspects, who fled on foot, were arrested after a helicopter spotted two separate campfires a couple of miles from the shooting scene.